Friday, May 9, 2008

True Life and MTV's Made exclusive: LARP-ing. Hot? or Not?

A few weeks ago, the entire Stoker Clan was home. And like any other family get together, something stupid happens. An "accidental" punch in the face, a rolled 4-wheeler, a snowmobile best-trick showdown, a socker bopper fight, obnoxiously doing things to a sibling purely because you know they hate it. All may or may not be done in good spirits, but more or less is fine holiday fun. LA-Gear (LauriAnn's stage moniker after the killer shoe brand) and I decided to go out for a joy ride to christen the new quad Dad had purchased so he and Mom could go 4-wheeling with friends. Now before I begin my saga, riddle me this-when did my parents decide that 4-wheeling was their favorite new outdoorsy activity, and when did they get friends to do it with?

Decked out in a lesbianne jacket (a lumberjack's plaid jacket worn by a girl, typically worn in our family to help fix things outside), a fighter pilot hat, and a red and black checkered hunters' vest, we embarked on a journey of a lifetime. We patrolled the creeks edge careful not to get sucked in, raced the fenced in poochies, raced Mindi and Brandt, traded spots, and began again. It was around this time that we decided to go out on a limb and try something new. Something that is hot on the scene right now. We decided to give LARP-ing a go. LA has seen competitions at Manito Park up in Spokane by her house, so we both knew what it was. I admit it. I am a nerd of sorts. Not quite nerd convention material, but LA and I could hold our own in a Harry Potter/Lord of the Rings trivia showdown. So in honor of Lord of the Rings trilogy-which we love and watch the extended version all the time-we donned the characters we associated with the most. I, was the Dwarf-ironic I know, LA was the Elf, and we drove around running over tufts of bushes and many an accidental bramble, but what is an action/sci-fi movie without a bleeding cut right? On our jaunt through Middle Earth and the Ridimark, we encountered something horrible. Orc-like. I, captaining our vessel, and LA navigating, saw a skunk. Right then and there I dropped character and froze. I hesitated. I didn't want to scare the thing, bc I wasn't super excited about smelling like a skunk for a long time. Thankfully, LA came to our rescue, gunned it, and took us back home, where I confessed that had we gotten sprayed by that mangy varmit I would have skipped church. I took into consideration all of your tender senses and vulnerable noses, you're welcome.






Although I just made a complete fool of myself by sharing this insight to my nerdy mind, and probably lost the respect I worked SO hard to get, I wanted to put to rest the whisperings and rumors about the true life of LARP-ing and expose it for what it is: an expressive way for grown men to interact in each others imaginatory scenarios that lack access to dolls. I can knock it. I've tried it.

3 Words to Your Mother:

Mikaela said...

Love the jacket and vest, and I heard of this adventure, but loved hearing it in YOUR words!

Emily Katlyn West said...

LARP-ing is sooooo Hot right now! And I'm saddened you did not invite me to join you!!! Just kidding! Um who's Brandt?

Josh and Hil said...

Hey Gwen so I totally started a blog and added yours to mine!!